Lavash, also known as Armenian flatbread, is a delicious and versatile food that can be enjoyed in various ways. Whether you’re looking to accompany it with a meal or use it as a vessel for wraps and sandwiches, here’s a guide on how to eat lavash and make the most of this delectable bread.
One of the simplest ways to enjoy lavash is to tear off a piece and dip it into your favorite spreads or sauces. Hummus, babaganoush, tzatziki, or even olive oil and vinegar make great options. The soft and chewy texture of lavash complements these dips perfectly, creating a delightful flavor combination.
Another popular way to eat lavash is to use it as a wrap or sandwich bread. Fill it with your choice of protein, such as grilled chicken, falafel, or kebabs, and add fresh vegetables and herbs for added freshness and crunch. Roll it up tightly and enjoy a handheld meal bursting with flavor.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also use lavash as a base for pizza. Simply spread your favorite tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings over the lavash and bake it in the oven until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted. This quick and easy lavash pizza is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
Now, let’s address some frequently asked questions about lavash:
1. Is lavash gluten-free? Unfortunately, traditional lavash bread is made with wheat flour and is not gluten-free.
2. How long does lavash last? When stored properly in an airtight container at room temperature, lavash can last up to two weeks.
3. Can lavash be frozen? Yes, lavash can be frozen. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before freezing, and it can last for up to three months in the freezer.
4. Can I make lavash at home? Yes, lavash can be made at home using a simple recipe that includes flour, water, salt, and oil. There are various recipes available online that you can try.
5. Can lavash be used for desserts? Yes, lavash can be used to make sweet treats such as baklava or rolled up with Nutella and sliced fruits for a dessert wrap.
6. Is lavash healthy? Lavash is relatively low in calories and fat compared to other bread options, making it a healthier choice.
7. Can I use lavash for breakfast? Absolutely! Lavash can be filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, and your favorite breakfast ingredients for a delicious morning meal.
In conclusion, lavash is a versatile bread that can be enjoyed in various ways. Whether you’re using it as a dipper for spreads, a wrap, or even a pizza crust, lavash is sure to satisfy your taste buds.