What Can a Crested Gecko Eat
What Can a Crested Gecko Eat?
Crested geckos, also known as eyelash geckos, are small, arboreal reptiles that are native to New Caledonia. They have become increasingly popular as pets due to their unique appearance and low maintenance requirements. One important aspect of caring for a crested gecko is providing it with a proper diet. Here is a guide on what crested geckos can eat:
1. Commercial Diets: A staple diet for crested geckos is commercially available powdered food. These diets are specifically formulated to meet their nutritional needs and are often made from a combination of fruits, insects, and vitamins.
2. Insects: Crested geckos can also be fed a variety of live insects, such as crickets, waxworms, and mealworms. These should be offered as occasional treats and should be appropriately sized for the gecko to avoid choking hazards.
3. Fruits: Fresh fruits can be offered as a supplement to the gecko’s diet. Some suitable options include mashed banana, papaya, mango, and figs. It is important to remove any uneaten fruit from the enclosure to prevent mold growth.
4. Baby Food: Unsweetened, organic baby food can also be given to crested geckos. Options such as pureed fruits or vegetables can provide additional nutrients and variety to their diet.
5. Repashy: Repashy is a popular brand that produces powdered food specifically designed for crested geckos. It is made from a blend of fruits, insects, and vitamins, and can be mixed with water to create a gel-like consistency that geckos can easily consume.
6. Avoid Toxic Foods: It is crucial to avoid feeding crested geckos any toxic foods, such as avocados, citrus fruits, or foods with high sugar content. These can be harmful to their health and should be strictly avoided.
7. Water: Along with their diet, crested geckos also require access to fresh, clean water. This can be provided in a shallow dish or through misting the enclosure, as they will often drink droplets of water from leaves.
1. Can crested geckos eat baby food?
Yes, unsweetened, organic baby food can be given to crested geckos as a supplement to their diet.
2. How often should I feed my crested gecko?
Adult crested geckos should be fed every other day, while juveniles may require daily feedings.
3. Can crested geckos eat insects?
Yes, crested geckos can eat a variety of live insects, such as crickets, waxworms, and mealworms.
4. Can they eat fruits?
Yes, crested geckos can eat a variety of fruits, such as mashed banana, papaya, mango, and figs.
5. Should I provide supplements?
Commercially available powdered diets often contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals. However, additional calcium supplements can be provided occasionally.
6. Can crested geckos eat baby food as their main diet?
No, baby food should be used as a supplement to their diet and not as the main source of nutrition.
7. Can crested geckos eat vegetables?
While crested geckos primarily consume fruits, some vegetables like sweet potato or carrot can be offered occasionally in small amounts.