What Can I Eat When I First Get Braces
What Can I Eat When I First Get Braces?
Getting braces can be an exciting and life-changing experience. However, it also comes with a few adjustments, particularly when it comes to your diet. As your orthodontist installs your braces, they will likely provide you with a list of foods to avoid. But what can you eat when you first get braces? Here are some food options that are gentle on your newly adjusted teeth.
1. Soft foods: Opt for soft foods that require minimal chewing, such as mashed potatoes, yogurt, soup, scrambled eggs, and smoothies. These options are easy on your braces and won’t cause discomfort.
2. Cooked vegetables: Steamed or boiled vegetables like carrots, broccoli, and peas are excellent choices. Just make sure they are soft enough to be easily chewed.
3. Pasta and noodles: Soft pasta dishes like macaroni and cheese or noodles with a light sauce can be enjoyed without causing much strain on your braces.
4. Soft fruits: Bananas, peaches, melons, and berries are all great options as they are easy to chew and won’t harm your braces.
5. Dairy products: Foods like cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt are not only soft but also rich in calcium, which is essential for maintaining healthy teeth.
6. Soft meats: Cooked chicken, fish, or tender beef can be consumed as long as they are cut into small, manageable pieces.
7. Smoothies and milkshakes: These delightful treats can be a refreshing and nutritious option during the early days of braces. Use soft fruits, yogurt, or milk as the base for a delicious and braces-friendly beverage.
1. Can I eat crunchy snacks like chips or popcorn? No, these types of foods can damage your braces or get stuck in them, causing discomfort.
2. Can I eat hard candy or chew gum? It is best to avoid hard candy and gum as they can damage the brackets and wires of your braces.
3. Can I eat bread and pizza? Yes, as long as they are soft and not too crispy. Opt for softer crusts and avoid hard-crusted bread or pizza.
4. Can I eat nuts and seeds? It is advisable to avoid nuts and seeds as they can easily get stuck in your braces.
5. Can I eat raw vegetables? Raw vegetables should be avoided initially, but once your teeth adjust to the braces, you can enjoy them in small, bite-sized pieces.
6. Can I eat apples? It is best to slice apples into small, thin pieces or cook them until they are soft.
7. Can I eat burgers or sandwiches? Yes, but make sure to cut them into smaller, more manageable pieces to avoid putting too much pressure on your braces.
Remember, it may take some time to adjust to eating with braces, so be patient. Follow your orthodontist’s instructions and gradually reintroduce foods into your diet as your teeth become more accustomed to the braces.