What Happens if You Eat Nail Glue

What Happens if You Eat Nail Glue?

Nail glue, also known as nail adhesive, is a strong adhesive that is commonly used to attach artificial nails or to repair broken natural nails. While it is designed for external use, accidents can happen, and there may be instances where someone accidentally ingests nail glue. So what happens if you eat nail glue?

Nail glue typically contains cyanoacrylate, a type of fast-drying adhesive. When ingested, it can cause a range of health issues. The most common immediate effect is irritation and damage to the mouth, throat, and digestive system. Symptoms may include burning or pain in the mouth, difficulty swallowing, and nausea. In severe cases, it can lead to blockage in the gastrointestinal tract, requiring medical attention.

It is important to note that nail glue is not intended for consumption and should be kept out of reach of children. Accidental ingestion should be taken seriously and prompt medical attention should be sought. The doctor may recommend inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, or performing other necessary treatments to prevent further complications.


1. Can nail glue be toxic if ingested in small amounts?
Yes, even small amounts of nail glue can cause irritation and damage to the digestive system.

2. What should I do if I accidentally ingest nail glue?
Seek immediate medical attention. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a healthcare professional.

3. How long does it take for nail glue to pass through the digestive system?
The time it takes for nail glue to pass through the digestive system varies. It may take several days or longer depending on the amount ingested.

See also  Why Does My Tooth Hurt When I Eat

4. Can nail glue cause long-term damage?
Ingesting nail glue can potentially cause long-term damage if not treated promptly. Seek medical attention to prevent complications.

5. Can nail glue harm children?
Yes, it can be particularly dangerous for children. Keep nail glue out of their reach and seek medical help immediately if ingestion occurs.

6. Are there any alternative ways to remove nail glue?
It is best to consult a professional or follow the instructions on the nail glue packaging to safely remove it from skin or nails.

7. How can I prevent accidental ingestion of nail glue?
Store nail glue in a secure place, away from children and pets. Always use it in a well-ventilated area and avoid contact with the mouth or eyes.